Children in ALL Grades (K-12) need the following immunizations for attendance:
- 4 doses of Tetanus, Diphtheria and Acellular Pertussis* (1 dose on or after 4th birthday)
- 4 doses of Polio** (4th dose on or after 4tH birthday and at least 6 months after previous dose)
- 2 doses of Measles, Mumps and Rubella***
- 3 doses of Hepatitis B
- 2 doses of Varicella (chickenpox) or evidence of immunity
* Usually given as DTP or DTaP or if medically advisable, DT or Td
**A fourth dose is not necessary if the third dose was administered at age 4 years or older and at least 6 months after the previous dose
* ** Usually given as MMR
Seventh through 12th Grade ADDITIONAL immunization requirements for attendance:
- 2 doses Meningococcal Conjugate Vaccine (MCV)
- First dose is given 11-15 years of age: a second dose is required at age 16 or entry into 12th grade.
- If the dose was given at 16 years of age or older, only one dose is required.
- 1 dose of Tetanus, Diphtheria, Acellular Pertussis (Tdap)
Exemptions to the school laws for immunizations:
- Medical reasons
- Religious beliefs
- Philosophical/strong moral or ethical conviction
If your child is exempt from immunizations, he or she may be removed from school during an outbreak.
- Vaccines are held to the highest standard of safety.
- The United States has the safest, most effective vaccine supply in history.
- Vaccines are continually monitored for safety and effectiveness.
Pennsylvania’s school immunization requirements can be found in:
- 28 PA Code Ch.23 (School Immunization)
Contact your health care provider or the Pennsylvania Department of Health at:
- 1-877-PA-HEALTH (1-877-724-3258)
Vaccine information can be found at: www.dontwaitvaccinate.pa.gov